Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Food Love Affair


Dear Food,

I miss you.

I miss all of things we used to do together.

Baseball game hotdogs, birthday cake celebrations, summertime picnics, late night dinners at favorite restaurants, trips to the bakery unable to decide just what to get and my favorite, cozy nights on the couch, just the two of us.

Life just isn’t the same without you
Everyday when I woke up you were there.
Bacon, sausage, pancakes with blueberry syrup and whipped cream.

At lunch we were together again. Fast food cheeseburgers, meatball subs, fried chicken carryout.

One of the best parts of my days was knowing I’d be going home to you, chicken enchilada, fettuccine Alfredo, BBQ spare ribs, warm apple pie.

Sigh.

Life just isn’t the same without you. There’s no joy going home anymore if you’re not there.

Deep-fried appetizers at the bar are only a painful memory now.

Sure, now I have more money and time since meals with less than 500 calories don’t take much to prepare, but the flavor of my life is diminished.

I think of you every time I drive past the fast food billboard with the pictures of the tasty new milkshakes they’re offering this month.

Every time a co-worker puts a snack on the community table, you fill my mind, and when friends invite me to parties I wonder if you’ll be there and how I should act when I see you.

My heart aches for the way we used to be.The carefree days of grabbing life like a handful of peanut MnMs has ended.

While spreading the low fat peanut butter on plain wheat bread for lunch today I nearly shed a tear.

I wonder what you think about my smaller belly and diminishing thighs. Since you’ve gone away they're slowly leaving me too.

I know we can never go back to the way we used to be, but I wanted you to know I miss you and whenever I think of us, I’ll do so with memories as sweet as the molten chocolate cake that filled my many nights.

Love always,

Rene'
Photo credit: stock.xchng

No comments:

Follow Renesphatblog on Twitter